Sunday, May 31, 2009

Struggles

I have had some very strong struggles over the past few weeks where Alex has been concerned. I know that I have been tested in my faith, that I have been stretched, and that I am being purified in the fire! One thing for sure, I have not lost my sight of God throughout our whole ordeal.

We made the choice to homeschool him begining next year recently. I've received so much confirmation that we are following God's will here it has been just jaw dropping. Left and right, front and back, God has spoken loud and clear here.

I have been searching into curriculum for him, and praying about it. I know that I will have what will work for him for next year when it is time, but please, think of us, and if you have suggestions, feel free to leave me a comment. I will most certainly review whatever is sent my way!

Friday, was the straw that broke the proverbial camel's back though. The teacher that is in charge of him took photos of him on her personal cell phone and sent them to me in a text message. No explaination for them and no phone call. He had been drawing on the desk and I guess she felt the need to have me view his artwork. Let me explain why this made me so very angry.

First, there is a behavior chart that comes home with him every day. I sign and keep a copy, one copy goes back to her, and the final copy goes in his file for adminstration. There are times where she has let me know that he has drawn on the desk, I got that. I don't feel there was a need to take a photo of it and send it to me. What exactly was that supposed to accomplish?

Second, the photo was taken of him in the middle of the classroom within sight of the other children and teachers. It was strictly for humiliation of him and nothing else.

Third, he has been singled out. The other children in that room are in standard wooden school desks. My 6 year old is sitting in a desk that looks like it has a dry erase top. Yes, you read that correctly. A dry erase desktop - and he was expected NOT to draw on it, WITHOUT that being told to him until AFTER he had already done it.

Forth, she did not put that he even drew on the desk on the behavior chart that comes home. Remember, the one that has a copy to go to the adminstration? There was no mention of the drawing, no mention of the texts, nothing. No apparent paper trail so that administration could track this incident.

Fifth, and the final straw, she told him to stand next to his desk. He did. She says, "Smile for the camera!" Oh, the anger that rose up in me from the whole thing! Thankfully my husband had the sense to make me wait 2 hours before us going to the school over it.

Yes, we handled it through the proper channels, and with dignity and respect. There will be an administrative action taken against the teacher. The school is aware of our plan to homeschool him and supportive of it. How dare they do this??? As if he did not have enough struggles dealing with the previous trama from the begining of the year and that so called teacher!

A dear friend of mine gave me some advice. She told me to pray for the teacher and to remember that we are to pray for our enemies.

I don't view this teacher as my enemy. She is not the enemy. She was unfortunantly the vessel used to hurt my son. I will pray for her, but not as if she is the enemy, but as a woman who needs Jesus and the love He brings in her life!

So with that, I've found a wonderful online community of homeschool families. www.thehomeschoollounge.com I will try to get a button on here for them soon. Check them out, wonderful group of women from all over the country!

And so we begin a new and exciting journey with our son, at least where his education is concerned!

1 comment:

  1. I truly hope you find the best curriculum for him and are able to help him grow through this journey as a strong young man. Call if you need anything and keep updated. The teacher, the circumstances, are all in His hands.

    Thank God you made it through that one...... ! Ughhhh!

    Ginger

    ReplyDelete