Friday, June 26, 2009

And How Much More Does He Care For You?

I am reminded of Matthew 6:26 (NLT) Look at the birds. They don’t plant or harvest or store food in barns, for your heavenly Father feeds them. And aren’t you far more valuable to him than they are?

I am going to keep that in mind as I am going through this post, as do I want you.

Blythe had his 9 month well baby checkup on Tuesday. I really don't like those, simply because he doesn't handle the shots well. His leg always bruises, it gets very knotty, he gets extremely sore there no matter what we do, it disturbs his diapering patterns, and to make it all the better it affects his sleeping pattern. I kid you not, he's been up for several hours in the middle of the night for the past two nights. Can make for a tired Mommy! But God is good to me and I have a child that will come get the baby in the morning to give me an extra hour or two of sleep. That is one thing I am very very grateful for. Without Marissa's help, I would have been a zombie by now.

So at any rate, the visit is going well. He's a big boy, a very big boy. I tell people he is going to be our very intelligent football player. Hey, that big head of his is going to be useful! He is at the 20lb mark already, and his head is 46cm. Oh yeah, that is the size of about a 2T in a hat for him. On the charts, his head is in the 95 percentile range. Yep, you got it, his head is bigger than 95% of the babies out there. And you wonder why we call him Frankenstein?

So we are going through the motions...."How is he sleeping?" Not all night. He has to eat. "How is he eating" About every 2 hours still. I am not kidding. "Is he crawling" Oh yes, he does the GI crawl and is crawling more normally more often now. "Is he pulling up on things" Oh yes, he is standing, cruising across the couch, and trying to climb on things. "Is he babbling" Nope.

You could hear a pin drop.

"No baby babbles?!?"

Nope. He does the "ooohs" and "ahhhs" and "hiiiis" but no constant consonant sounds. (Remember the cute video of him saying bye-bye? Well bye-bye is gone. Not a site of it for about two weeks now) There is no mamamama or dadadadada or anything like that. He "talks" to us through coos like a smaller baby, and he squeals and cries like no tomorrow but no consonants.

Oh yes, I have heard it all. He is just a little slower, he will do it on his own time, maybe he just doesn't want to talk right now, he is still little yet....

Look, children do develop at different rates. HOWEVER there are certain milestones that occur at certain ages no matter what. The babbling is one of them.

Instructions from the pediatrician?

Watch him close. Talk to him like we've been doing. (We have him watch us, we say the sounds -i.e. mamama, we put his hand to our mouth so he can feel the sounds) If he is not speaking at 12 months we go back for ANOTHER audiology.

Did I mentioned that he failed his newborn one? Yeah, it was repeated and then he passed, but that is why we are having to watch all of this.

If the audiology is clean we go to speech therapy.

Ok, compare my two boys and wonder why I am not ponding my feet on the ground ready to charge all of the doctors like the mother bull I can be???

Remember Matthew 6:26?

My God is bigger than this.

1 comment: